At this point of the week, you know the features roundup is headed your way! The only difference this time around is that our tech features involve things like beer and Shark Week!
Okay, now that we’ve gotten your attention, tune in for the latest in social media obervations, startup tips and geeky gadgetry galore. Pack your brain with fascinating facts about the history of mobile phones. Satisfy your curiosity by discovering where those darn-cute Google Doodles come from. And tap into the best LinkedIn apps for sales teams. It’s your world — we just write for it.
- 5 Big Mistakes To Avoid in Your QR Code Marketing Campaign
QR codes can be a powerful marketing tool, but you might be surprised how simple mistakes can derail a well-meaning campaign.
- 10 Fascinating Facts About Mobile Phones
Chances are you don’t leave home without your mobile phone, but how much do you actually know about our portable telephonic devices and their fascinating history?
- The 20 Most-Shared Video Ads of the Month
The most-shared video ads for July, as rated by the Mashable Global Ads chart.
- Sharepocalypse Now: Why Social Media Overload Means New Opportunities for Startups
Social media overload may be hindering our communication and productivity, but the problem presents a valuable opportunity for an emerging social assistance industry.
- Where Do Google Doodles Come From?
For a long time, all Google Doodles were created by a former intern and current employee named Dennis Hwang. The process has since been taken to a whole new level.
- International Beer Day: 8 Social Websites for Brew Lovers
We’ve decided to celebrate International Beer Day by compiling the best sites and online resources for brew lovers.
- How the Web Is Responding to the Horn of Africa Famine
The Horn of Africa is in the midst of the worst famine the region has seen in more than 60 years. Creative attempts to help are sprouting up across the Internet.
- Our Favorite YouTube Videos This Week: The Birthday Edition
Mashable turned six this week, and like any other 6-year-old, we want to celebrate all week long.
- Top 10 Twitter Trends This Week [CHART]
Wondering which topics had Twitter abuzz this past week? Check out the full list of top trends.
- Top 25 Most-Shared Mashable Stories in July
Find out which Mashable news posts, features stories, infographics or opinion pieces garnered the most shares across social platforms in July.
- 5 Best Practices for Beauty Brands on Facebook
Makeup, hair and skin product brands have often been on the cutting edge of marketing, and they’re bringing their savvy to Facebook.
- 5 Ways Google+ Will Drive Social Video Growth
Google+’s unique sharing features combined with deep integration of video chat and mobile make it the killer platform for video. Here are 5 trends for marketers to watch.
- What Does Social Media Mean for the Future of Mortality? [VIDEO]
Mashable Editor-in-Chief Adam Ostrow discusses the implications that the social media boom will have on the future of mortality.
- What a Global Food Crisis Looks Like [INFOGRAPHIC]
Oxfam has just released an interactive map showing how countries worldwide are being hurt by high and volatile food prices.
- HOW TO: Get Started on Posterous
Ready to start a blog or website on one of the easiest platforms on the web? This step-by-step guide will walk you through getting started, and customizing the blog to your taste.
- The Rise of the Social Food Truck [INFOGRAPHIC]
We’ve put together a tasty little treat for you: a visualization of the social food truck journey from A to Ziti.
- 5 Free Tools for Recording Google+ Hangouts
Until Google+ adds such functionality, we’ve found five workarounds that will help you record your next Hangout — free.
- Transparency vs. Anonymity: Where Do You Stand? [INFOGRAPHIC & POLL]
Should you be required to use your real name online, or is it better when you’re allowed to remain anonymous? Take a look at the infographic and then sound off in our poll.
- The Price of Internet Fame [COMIC]
It’s hard having a high profile on the web.
- The 10 Most-Shared Beer Ads of All Time [VIDEOS]
On International Beer Day, we salute the most popular brew commercials on the web.
- 3 Terrific Tools for Social & Mobile Viewing Audiences
Each weekend Mashable hand-picks a few startups we think are building interesting, unique or niche products.
- Inside Sports Illustrated: Building a Magazine for the Digital Age
Sports Illustrated is paving the way for how magazines are making the digital jump. We go behind the scenes to find out how and why it was done.
- 4 Ways the Department of Energy Is Tapping Tech for a Greener Future
It’s not often that a government agency is on the cutting edge of technology, but the DOE is making strides toward sustainability with some of its initiatives.
- Hide Your Kids, Hide Your Wi-Fi: Mashable‘s Favorite Wi-Fi Names
For Wi-Fi Day (8/02/11), Mashable asked our community to tell us about the best Wi-Fi names they had ever seen. Here are our favorites.
- Survey: Cellphones vs. Sex – Which Wins? [INFOGRAPHIC]
This survey shows just how willing Americans are to give up the finer things in life so they can still hang onto that handset.
- Lollapalooza in Photos: Check Out This Instagram Aggregator
Lollagram aggregates pictures from the fest tagged with words pertaining to Lollapalooza.
- Happy Shark Week: 6 Online Diversions to Sink Your Teeth Into
If you’ve been glued to The Discovery Channel’s “Shark Week” and feeling withdrawal symptoms while away from your TV, then we have a treat for you.
- Why Mobile Design Should Never Be an Afterthought
By 2013 more people will access websites through mobile phones than through desktop computers. Companies need to move from being “mobile friendly” to thinking “mobile first.”
- HOW TO: Choose the Right Office Space
It’s not easy to strike a balance between affordability and the right premises, but our checklist should help.
- Startup Crisis Control: 6 Painful Lessons from Airbnb
Six lessons all entrepreneurs can learn from Airbnb’s recent mishap.
- 5 Tips for Running Successful Cause Marketing Campaigns
How do you run a successful cause-marketing campaign that reflects well on your brand and also does serious good? Our tips will help you do it right.
- HOW TO: Land a Job at LivingSocial
LivingSocial hires about six people per day across multiple departments, so if you’re in the market for a job, there’s probably one for you there.
- 5 Essential LinkedIn Apps for Sales Teams
For salespeople, a LinkedIn profile is often a gateway to important new leads. These 5 apps can maximize your profile’s potential.
- 5 Ways To Tap Ad Agency Funding
Come read our guide to making your startup gets the most out of each shot at ad agency funding.
- 5 Simple Tips for Better Business Websites
Do your customers a favor by offering a simple, easy-to-navigate site. Here are five tips to help you achieve just that
- 10 Social Good Startups Worth Your Time [VIDEOS]
Community website COMMON has rounded up 10 promising startup initiatives that are using tech to do some social good. The contest to find them, COMMON Pitch, drew in applications from Norway to Colorado in a bid to win publicity and funding.
- 5 Expert Office Design Tips
“A great office design can invigorate a workforce.” We bring you advice from the pros.
- Startup Success: How Soraya Darabi Put Foodspotting on the Map
Soraya Darabi is a co-founder of the culinary photo app Foodspotting, new media strategist at ABC News and an adviser to a handful of startups. Mashable spoke with her about her success as a young tech entrepreneur.
- 3 Tips for Running a Successful Daily Deal Promotion
Many businesses delve into daily deals marketing without a sense of what’s at stake. These 3 tips will help you prepare and analyze your campaign.
- Disney Marketing: The Happiest Social Media Strategy on Earth
With more than 200 million Likes across all of its Facebook Pages, The Walt Disney Company is one of the most powerful brands around, online and off. We spoke with the CMO to see how the company does it.
- Find a Job in Social Media, Communications or Design
If you’re seeking a job in social media, we’d like to help out.
- HOW TO: Deal With Bad Clients
If you’re a freelancer, consultant or independent worker, dealing with bad clients comes with the territory. Here are tips for how to identify those unfortunate situations and ensure they don’t have a negative impact on your business or emotional well-being.
- Snapshot of Success: Instagram’s Kevin Systrom Shares His Startup Secrets
Instagram co-founder Kevin Systrom shares how he handles challenges, recounts his false starts and offers advice for budding entrepreneurs.
- Stock Market Tanks: Winners & Losers in Tech
U.S. stock markets are tanking. Which tech companies are weathering the storm and which ones are getting hammered hard?
- HOW TO: Target Ads Without Stalking Customers on the Web
Targeted ads that “stalk” people around the web can be a turn-off for your potential customers. Here’s how to retarget your campaign effectively.
Tech & Mobile
Business & Marketing
Image courtesy of rafiki270.
For more Social Media coverage: